Outdoors - eco friendly homes, eco friendly community Asheville, asheville eco friendly houses
Central Gardens Our homes are arranged in a high-density model, allowing maximum preservation of common space. As a result, the majority of homes surround the Central Gardens, which are located on nearly two acres of flat, sun-filled land. The Central Gardens include:
- Community Gardens - Two large Community Gardens are irrigated by the village's water harvesting system. Village residents use the Community Gardens to produce organic vegetables and herbs.
- Garden Trails - There are over a 1/4 mile of pervious garden trails through the Central Gardens that lead to the Community Center, Greenhouse, Orchards and Vineyards, and Orchard Home sites. The Garden Trails connect to over two miles of Crest Mountain's hiking trails. Future plans include trail connections to the Woodfin Riverfront Municipal Trail System, giving residents bicycle access to the French Broad River, Beaver Lake, downtown Asheville and downtown Woodfin.
- Play Field - The Play Field is an open area for children and children-at-heart to play field games.
- Park Area - The Park Area is designed similarly to a classic city park and includes shade trees and benches.
- Common Buildings - These rustic structures serve two uses: first as gathering places and second as PV platforms for community solar systems. The Orchard Common Building will be a three-season, outdoor kitchen area, perfect for community dining and weekend get-togethers.
Orchards, Vineyards & Berry Patch
The orchards, vineyards, and berry patches provide a variety of fruits, grapes and berries to families living in the villages. As many as 20 lots will have orchard frontage. The "Orchard Home sites" are located above the orchards and feature wooded lots with views and more acreage.
4 Mazzard Cherry Trees 1 Mesabi Cherry Tree 1 Meteor Cherry Tree1 Northstar Cherry Tree 2 Montmorency Cherry Trees
Asian Pear Trees
3 Shinko Asian Pear Trees 2 Hosui Asian Pear Trees 1 Atago Asian Pear Tree 1 20th Century Asian Pear Tree
European Pear Trees
5 Orient Pear Trees 5 Moonglow Pear Trees
2 American Hybrid Chestnuts
1 Freedom Apple Tree 1 Firecracker Crabapple Tree 1 Empire Apple Tree 2 Goldrush Apple Trees 2 Sweet Sixteen Apple Trees 1 Golden Russet Apple Tree 1 Wynooche Early Apple Tree 1 Enterprise Apple Tree 3 Yellow Delicious Apple Trees 3 Red Delicious Apple Trees 3 Lodi Apple Trees
4 Bounty Plum Trees
2 Oscars’ Mulberry Trees
Asian Persimmon Trees
2 Hana Fuyu Persimmon Trees
4 Doreen Muscadine Grapevines 4 Sterling Muscadine Grapevines 8 Southland Muscadine Grapevines
Table and Wine Grapes
9 Concord Grapevines 6 Rubiana Wine Grapevines 2 Mars Grapevines 3 Catawba Grapevines
10 Duke Blueberry Bushes 10 Thornless Blackberry Bushes 10 Heritage Rasberry Bushes
Greenhouse The community greenhouse will be centrally located in the Village at Crest Mountain. This work/play structure will allow residents to produce food year-round alongside other community members. The greenhouse building will also house the community's mail center and a garden equipment storage area. The adjacent Greenhouse Studio units will have studio/office space and loft-like residential units.
Crest Mountain Villages at Crest Mountain residents also enjoy full access to Crest Mountain's hiking trails, mature forest and abundant wildlife. Crest Mountain has some of the most incredible views in Buncombe County, several breathtaking overlooks, waterfalls, and much more.